Help the Canada's Coolest School Trip team pick this year’s winner by voting once per day starting on March 9, 2020. The top ten videos as voted by you and five staff-picks will move on to the judging round for the grand prize. Spread the word to get as much support as possible for your favourite video!
An all-expenses-paid trip to British-Columbia from June 8-12, 2020, for a class of up to thirty-five (35) students and one (1) adult chaperone per ten (10) students.
Canada’s Coolest School Trip 9th edition is headed to Kootenay National Park in British Columbia in June 2020! Kootenay National Park is celebrating its 100th birthday in 2020! From June 8 to 12 the winning class will explore this special place. During this five day all expenses paid trip, the class will:
- discover the Burgess Shale, one of the most important fossil sites on earth with half a billion-year-old fossils that are so well preserved you can see gills, antennas, and even their last meal during a guided hike to Stanley Glacier;
- camp under the stars;
- learn up close and personal how Parks Canada manages forest fires, and learn from a fire expert about this vital part of forest health;
- enjoy the Radium Hot Springs, a large hot pool and 25-metre swimming pool;
- look for bighorn sheep on the walls of the Sinclair canyon; and
- experience the Rocky Mountains like never before during Canada’s Coolest School Trip to Kootenay National Park and region during its centennial year.
Round-trip regular class flights to and from the airport served by Air Canada nearest the winning class, for travel to Calgary, Alberta, are included and supported by Air Canada.
Read about last year’s trip on our blog!
Three (3) runner-up winners will be selected from the short-listed 15 videos, including the top ten (10) videos as determined by public voting and the five (5) staff picks videos. Each video’s score will be determined by a panel of judges based on the rubric provided here.
Each winning class of a runner-up prize will receive a field trip to a local Parks Canada place, including transportation and programming, up to a maximum value of $1000. Any additional costs are the responsibility of the class. If the class is not located near a Parks Canada place, the contest group entities will arrange a field trip, including transportation and programming, to a similar location of historical or natural significance, up to a maximum value of $1000. Additional costs for remotely located classes are at the discretion of the contest group entities.
Six (6) honourable mentions will be awarded a prize package from the Contest Group Entities. Winners will be selected by region. If a region is not represented within the short-listed fifteen (15) photo essays, winners will be selected at the discretion of the judges and may be chosen from all entries received or from any region.
BC + AB (1 honourable mention)
SK+MB (1 honourable mention)
ON (1 honourable mention)
Quebec (1 honourable mention)
NB+NS+PEI+NL (1 honourable mention)
NU+NWT+YK (1 honourable mention)
Prize packages include:
- A gift bag containing selected Parks Canada merchandise (per student)
- A one-year subscription to Canadian Geographic (per winning class)
- One Canadian Geographic photo magazine (per student)
- A reference book/publication featuring Parks of Canada’s national parks and/or national historic sites (per winning class)